Lab Computer Questions
Do A&D lab computers require the same campus wide user credentials as the Poly Portal?
YES! You can use any lab computer in Art & Design by logging in with your Cal Poly user name & password. Some machines used for dedicated processes may also allow other options. See your area techs and instructors for more info.
What if I try my Cal Poly credentials and I can't log in to an A&D lab computer?
Check with your faculty and area techs for assistance.
I get an error that says my Cal Poly account has been locked. Now what?
If a user tries an incorrect password 4 times, their account will be automatically locked, preventing access for 30 minutes. This is campus-wide, not specific to Art & Design. Users can wait 30+ minutes, or call the support line for assistance unlocking their account.
Where are the A&D Labs located?
- Graphic Design Computer Lab - Room 151- Classes are taught in it as well, so check the schedule (posted by the door) before entering. Students can get after-hours access with a phone app.
- Graphic Design Collaboration Studio - Room 159B - Students can get after-hours access with a phone app.
- Art & Design Resource Center - Room 160A Check the schedule on the door.
- Photography Studio & Lab - Room 222 - Check with the Photo tech for hours of availability. Students can get after-hours access with a phone app.
Lab Printer Questions
What are my printing options?
A&D has both laser and inkjet printers :
• Laser printers: Low cost, fast, prints on bright white medium weight (28 lb.) paper that is included in the cost of the prints. You can print from any lab computer to any laser printer in the same room.
Special paper can be used in the Bypass Tray on most laser printers. Don't load special paper in the standard paper trays.
• Inkjet printers: Higher cost per page, slow, and students supply their own paper. High-quality color and image detail. Inkjets can handle many different types and weights of media, but are optimized for photo paper.
You can only print from the lab computer that is directly attached to an inkjet printer, so additional time must be factored into planning in case there is a queue at the printer. Don't wait until the last minute; you will likely find too many students wrangling for the printer you need.
Where are the A&D printers located?
- CL-Xerox7500DT (color laser)
- CL-KyoceraP6035 (color laser)
- CL-Canon PRO-1000-1 (photo inkjet)
- CL-Canon PRO-1000-2 (photo inkjet)
- Colab-KyoceraP8060CDN (color laser)
- RC-RicohC831 (color laser)
- RC-Canon Pro2000 (wide format photo inkjet)
- Photo-Epson3880-1 (photo inkjet)
- Photo-Epson3880-2 (photo inkjet)
- Photo-Epson3880-3 (photo inkjet)
- Phaser 7500DT (color laser)
Can I print from my own computer/device?
No. At some point in the future, the dept may add this ability, but our current systems can only print from lab computers using Art & Design specific user accounts.
How do I buy A&D print credit to use lab printers?
Print credit is purchased in the CP web portal. Use this guide for the process. Once purchased, the printing software (PaperCut) will show you a live balance on all Art lab desktops.
Lab Area General Questions
Where's my stuff?
Found items from both the Computer Lab and Resource Center will be held in the Art Office until claimed, but not beyond the end of the school year. If you are looking for something left in the Photo Lab, check with Mike first.
Commonly found items:
- USB memory sticks (flash drives)
- Apple notebook battery chargers
- Books & Bags
Tips to get your stuff back: Label your stuff. All Apple notebook chargers look the same, so I can't help ID or return them. Consider a label on a flash drive, or at least save a file on it with some ID or contact info so it can be returned (a simple RTF file named something like "I belong to Kilroy" is a good start). Better yet, put it on your keychain so it is much harder to misplace or forget.
Stuff not held in Lost & Found: Excess or unclaimed prints. Doodles, sketches, English or History homework. Excess graphic paper, trimmings, etc. All of this will go in the recycle bin on a regular basis, so be professional and police up your stuff.
Can I access to labs after hours?
- Access to 34-151 (Computer Lab) and 34-159B (Graphic Design Collaboration Studio) is available to Graphic Design students.
- Access to 34-222 (Photo-Video Studios) is available to Photo-Video students.
- Access is granted via a free mobile app called OpenPath. An email invitation is required to activate the app for use. See this guide for details.